Click to Home
Go To Search



 
Bids
Agendas and  Minutes.jpg
Pflugerville City Meeting Videos - live and replays
Pflugerville employment
Make Online Payments
 
Official Texas Historical Marker/Bohls House
Historical Marker Dedicated at Bohls House
  • Texas Historical Marker for Bohls HouseThe historical home of the G.W. Bohls Family was dedicated as a Texas Landmark on October 22, 2006. The longest occupants in the home were the Otto Bohls family.
  • Located at 901 Old Austin Hutto Road, Heritage House is open for visitors the first Sunday of each month, from 1 p.m.- 4 p.m.
  • Various community events are held each year at Heritage House.

heritage houseMarker Inscription
Gottlieb William Bohls (1878-1961). The oldest of Heinrich and Julie Schroeder Bohls’ ten children was born on his family’s farm near this site. In 1906, G.W. married Bertha Timmerman (1883-1967), and five years later they purchased a 95-acre farm on the Austin-Hutto Road, formerly the site of the Carrington ranch school. They lived in a small home until this two-story, eight-room house could be completed in 1913. After twelve years, G.W. sold the property to his youngest brother, Otto Walter Bohls, Sr. (1989-1973), and his wife. Laura Emma Ann (Fuchs) (1898-1992). Otto promoted soil conservation practices on the farm and in the area, serving as chair of the Travis county Agricultural Adjustment Administration for 13 years. Contour farming, planting cover crops, building stock tanks, rotating crops and planting new seed varieties reduced wind and water erosion and kept the soil intact during periods of drought.

The Bohls Family deeded the property to the city in 1992 to promote and interpret the city’s heritage and culture. The Queen Anne Free Classic Style house features a hipped cross-gabled roof with dormer windows and fish scale shingles, prominent elements include a wraparound porch, main door sidelights, a long-leaf pine interior and cutaway bays with wooden brackets on the front facing parlor and side-facing dining room. Original outbuildings include a barn, two homes for farmhands, a smokehouse, an outhouse and carriage garage. The original rain harvesting system, including a 4,000-gallon brick-and-concrete underground cistern and a 2,000-gallon galvanized tin cistern above the ground was the home’s only source of drinking water until 1975.

Click here for museum hours.