This project provides for reconstruction and widening of the existing two-lane road into a four-lane divided roadway with raised medians. turn lanes, drainage improvements, pedestrian facilities and a signal at Kingston Lacy Blvd. Also included in the project is installation of new wastewater infrastructure and landscaping.
Project Engineer: Halff Associates, Inc.
Construction Contractor: Cash Construction
Map: To view this project on the city's GIS Map.
Heatherwilde Blvd. is a heavily traveled connection for traffic to and from SH 45 and the Howard Ln./IH 35 area as well as the local communities. This portion of roadway slated for construction is expected to accommodate nearly 4,000 additional users at one time, with the addition of two new travel lanes. Other benefits include:
- Enhance regional and local mobility and connectivity
- Significantly relieve congestion and improve operations along Heatherwilde Blvd.
- Provide increased safety with installation of a median for left-turn maneuvers as well as adding deceleration lane(s) for right turn maneuvers at commercial and subdivision access locations
- Increase efficiency of the traffic flow with the installation of a traffic signal at Kingston Lacy Blvd.
- Provide an east-west shared use pedestrian crossing
- Improve drainage with the installation of raised curb and gutter system along Heatherwilde Blvd.
- Enhance the corridor by adding landscaping and lighting along the route
- Provide enhanced visibility at the Wilke Ridge Ln. and New Meister Ln. intersections
- Lighting: street lights will be installed in the Heatherwilde median and additional lighting at the New Meister/Heatherwilde intersection.
Project Schedule and Status
The City Council awarded a construction contract at their December 8, 2015 meeting; and construction activities began February 8, 2016. The project is scheduled for completion in summer 2017.
This project which was approved by the voters in the 2014 Bond Election.
Traffic Switch Planned for Heatherwilde Boulevard
As construction continues along Heatherwilde Boulevard, a traffic switch is scheduled for the last part of August. Traffic will transition to the newly constructed east side lanes. Wilke Ridge Lane and Great Basin will be reopened.
Road closures will occur at Great Basin Ave. and Wilke Ridge Ln. in the initial phase of construction. Temporary traffic lanes will be established during construction to allow two-way traffic on Heatherwilde Blvd.
The plan is to have the traffic signal installed first with remaining construction to follow. Kingston Lacy Blvd. currently experiences heavy delays during peak periods and a traffic signal will provide safety for left-turn maneuvers for southbound Heatherwilde Blvd. traffic making a left onto Kingston Lacy Blvd. and vice versa for left turns from Kingston Lacy.
Pedestrian access and temporary routes may occur at various locations during construction
Great Basin Ave. and Wilke Ridge Ln.will be closed starting May 20. 2016 for five (5) months. Residents should enter Highland Park from Pflugerville Parkway.
For More Information
- Full list of Capital Improvement Projects - information on potential closures and project updates
- Sign up for the city's weekly e-newsletter, the Key to the City
Please contact the City of Pflugerville Capital Improvement Program at 512-990-6400 or by email at email@example.com if you have an additional questions.