May 28, 2019
TO: Candidates for November 5, 2019 General Election
FROM: Karen Thompson, City Secretary
SUBJECT: Candidate Information
- Application For A Place On General Election Ballot – The loyalty oath is included on the form and is to be filed in my office. The first day to file for a place on the ballot is Saturday, July 20, 2019. City offices open at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, July 22, 2019. The deadline for filing for a place on the ballot will be 5:00 p.m. on Monday, August 19, 2019. https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/forms/pol-sub/2-21f.pdf
- City Charter. See Article III for information on the City Council and Article V for information on City Elections. http://www.pflugervilletx.gov/home/showdocument?id=2
- Ethics Commission’s Campaign Finance Guide for Candidates and Officeholders Who File With Local Filing Authorities.
- Appointment of Campaign Treasurer by a Candidate (Form CTA) https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/data/forms/coh/cta.pdf Form CTA-Instruction Guide. https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/forms/coh/CTA_ins.php
- Amended Appointment of a Campaign Treasurer by a Candidate (Form ACTA) https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/data/forms/coh/acta.pdf Form ACTA- Instruction Guide https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/forms/coh/ACTA_ins.php
- Candidate/Officeholder Campaign Finance Report (Form C/OH) https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/data/forms/coh/coh.pdf Form C/OH-Instruction Guide. https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/data/forms/coh/COH_ins.pdf The deadline for filing the first report (30th day before election) will be 5:00 p.m. on October 7, 2019. The second report (8th day before election) is due by 5:00 p.m. on October 28, 2019. All candidates and officeholders, except for those that do not have a campaign treasurer on file and who do not exceed $500 in contributions or expenditures for the reporting period, are required to file semi-annual reports on July 15 and January 15. Please contact the Texas Ethics Commission for information on the deadlines and requirements.
- Title 15 of the Texas Election Code Regulating Political Funds and Campaigns. https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/statutes/title15.php
- Ethics Commission Rules. https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/rules/commission/
- Fair Campaign Practices Act https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/EL/htm/EL.258.htm
- Form CFCP Code of Fair Campaign Practices https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/data/forms/coh/cfcp.pdf
- "Political Advertising - What You Need to Know" from the Texas Ethics Commission. https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/data/resources/advertising/Gpol_adv.pdf
- Poll Watcher by Candidate on the Ballot or Declared Write-In Candidate. https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/forms/pol-sub/4-16f.pdf
Please see these websites for more information:
It is the duty of the candidate to become familiar with the laws that apply to campaigns for office. The City Secretary is responsible only for accepting and filing the various applications, affidavits, and statements, and noting the date and time of filing. Any questions regarding campaign finance reporting should be directed to the Texas Ethics Commission at 512-463-5800. The City Secretary should not be expected to judge or comment upon the timeliness or sufficiency of reports filed. Please also note that these documents are public records and are open for inspection by any person. Copies of these forms and documents are available at City Secretary’s Office, 100 East Main, Suite 300, during regular business hours.
Please feel welcome to contact me with any questions that you might have.